Saturday, September 13, 2014

There is a life changing power in your story...


Its such young girls whose dreams will be shaped by hearing and reading your story-Maggie with young girls in Nathenje

Never underestimate the power of your story, your experiences, your challenges, your opportunities and above all the blessing you are to those around you. I never knew just being me was enough to inspire others, telling someone  who I am was enough to make a difference untill not so long ago.It just took a narration of my life journey to be able to get somebody seeing the best of their being.It took sharing the opportunities of being admitted to 4 Universities and securing local and international scholarships to instill hope and self belief of what one is capable of becoming...so never underestimate ur experiences...There is a moving and motivating power in your story.
It has always been a part of me to never live life for myself; I have always wanted to live for others, as Christ did. I have always wanted to change things, the face of the minority, the disadvantaged, the less privileged in society, yes those who really don't get to be counted at times, those whom their voices are silenced from birth and those who really do not know or have a chance to get to know what is revolving around their world. A day comes and go, it makes no difference to their life as long as there is tomorrow, Life goes on. I was afraid to make a move in the first place, how could I face the world with empty hands cause I thought it takes something huge or perhaps that it needs one to have it all in order to make a difference, but ey, I was wrong it just takes you to bring about change. We all have the capacities within our abilities to make a difference in our own lives and others. Much as it is obvious to some people to see what opportunities are ahead of them, it is never obvious for everyone. Most of my friends had such obvious opportunities foreseen but It was never the case with me, I grew up knowing no opportunity ahead of me, but one thing I know and am grateful for is the secret to have known Christ at a tender age, it helped me to grow up worrying about nothing as I knew it was all set for tomorrow knowing He holds tomorrow.


 As I grew up, I have been blessed to come across a number of opportunities and I have always wanted to make others a part of these opportunities. I didn't know how but thank God, He gave me an opportunity to inspire and use my story to reach out and make a difference. It may not be the biggest or greatest story but to one person in some way at some point in time it has been able to make a difference. It all centers on education. If it was never for my hard work in school as am still doing now, I would never be able to inspire somebody, I would never be able to give a young girl a reason to be in school, I would never fly to different countries and I would never be blogging today on education and its power to change a life. I remember very well the first time when I was enrolled in a nursing college at the University of Malawi and wore a nurses uniform in my neighborhood, as I walked to the health center where I used to work on part time basis. I was still a teen ager and I met a young girl with her mama who lived just close to us. The little girl smiled at me and looked at me with envy; I knew she was amazed to see such a young nurse. It didn't mean anything to me what this young girl who by then was almost 8 yrs old had in her mind and what impact my age and career would have in her life until the time I had left nursing for a different career abroad. I rarely came home for holidays; I would come back once every year and never get to meet this young girl in my neighborhood.  Little did I know that she had told her mama that she looks up to me as her role model and that she one day wants to be like me. Her mother was just another good woman who knew how to stimulate her girl to work hard in school. She kept telling her of every other opportunity I was presented with and reminded her of the possibility to attain the same and even greater if she works hard in school. This year after almost 7 years of not meeting the girl, I learnt from her mother that she has been so ambitious to become more like me, she is been an excellent student maintaining her standards. That's when I also learnt to know that it’s not just this one girl in my neighborhood I have been inspiring and giving a reason to work hard in school but many other girls who constantly keep approaching me and share how my love for school has helped them stay in school.
Sharing my story, my challenges and my experiences has been a way of making a difference in the lives of many girls in my neighborhood and beyond. It has rekindled the girls’ interest to stay in school and strive for their dreams... If my story can make a difference in a girl’s life, what more with your story????

Maggie inspired Malawian girls with her story at one of the schools in Rural Lilongwe ,Her story  instilled hope in girls.


 NB: This has been written to call for Career/business oriented Malawian girls and women who believe in their Life stories and the difference it can make in promoting girls education in Malawi to share their stories through email to alibewawo@gmail.com and I will have the stories published on this blog...Be the first to share your story or recommend a friend’s story for this blogsite.  
#girlsmuststayinschoolsupporttheireducation#

No comments:

Post a Comment